Thursday, May 5, 2011

Greening my thumb

 After a positive experience with our patio garden last summer, I decided to try again.  Besides, the boys LOVED it!!  And kept asking me when we are going to get some plants.

So off to Lowes we went!  Someday, *maybe*, I will start my own plants from seeds, but WHY when you can buy such healthy, great looking starts from a store?  I know this philosophy can vary from gardener to gardener, but hey, I have a PATIO garden remember?  I think I am going to try and post photo updates of the plants on the 5th of the month.  Hope I can stick with it!!

Ethan, preparing the soil.  Wonderful, perfect job for him!
 Some begonias when in the hanging pot.  Not out of love for begonias, but I needed some cheap flowers for the boys to plant.  I tried seeds last year and the progress took too long for them to see a plant--thus, they were dug up before they even had a chance!  Hopefully seeing a plant will deter any unsupervised gardening.
 Two green bell pepper plants
 Two cherry tomato plants.  These thrived last year.  Much better than a bigger tomato, so that was all I went with this year.  (Like my sheets blowing on the line in the background?  Ahhh, spring/summer is here.)
 And a box of onions.  They are supposed to be green onions so we will see how this turns out.  My lettuce didn't do so well, so I thought I would try something different.  Maybe I will try some lettuce in a different pot.
I am still going to plant a Topsy-Turvy cherry tomato, but I just haven't cornered my better half to help me get it planted.

No comments: