Monday, October 22, 2007

More Peas Please

Someone mentioned that we have a lot of John Paul on this blog, so I am going to attempt a post without featuring him. (Yes, I agree. Can you really get too much of John Paul??) Anyway, on the news last night, a story came on about how Hormel foods is filing a lawsuit against Campbells, claiming that their new canned stew is not really stew at all. They even pulled out this definition of beef stew from the USDA:

"The beef stew shall contain beef, potatoes, peas, carrots, modified food starch, spices, and water. The beef stew may contain tomato paste, tomatoes, flour, caramel color, beef extract, seasonings, and other appropriate ingredients. In addition to the beef, the beef stew shall be composed of: 20.0 to 30.0 percent potatoes, 8.0 to 14.0 percent carrots, and at least 3.0 percent peas (raw weight basis)."

What?!?! Peas in beef stew? I don't think that I have ever had peas in my stew, but just hearing them talk about all of the goodness that goes into stew made my taste buds water. Therefore, all day today, the aroma of beef stew has filled our house as it slowly cooks in the crock pot. And guess what...it has peas in it too!

5 comments:

Scott and Suzanne said...

Nice stew, Martha! Actually, I remember you being a good cook - I still use your recipe (more like "method") for baked potato soup. You Kansas farm girls! Do you know how to make the famous (in our family) Olpe Chicken Dinner noodles??

Heather Benza said...

i've never added peas, i'll try next time. and there is a limitless need for john paul info!

Julie said...

Well, Suzanne, I wish I knew how to make those noodles!! They are actually the St. Joseph Spring Festival noodles, but I have never been home at the time when they make them. Maybe I should plan my next trip to Kansas around it!

Rosemary said...

Suzanne, We will let you know when the church circle ladies decide to make noodles for the festival. Julie's Mom---Rosemary

Blessed Knitter said...

A) No such thing as too much John Paul B) I can't believe you don't always put peas in your beef stew! It's the only time I eat peas (well, except for fried rice).