Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Beauty of a Sitting Child

Over the past month, Matt and I have been trying everything we can think of to encourage John Paul to crawl or even roll over more. In fact everytime we describe how he is doing to others, we are sure to add, "and he is not crawling yet." However, a friend recently shed a different light on the subject by stating "Never underestimate the beauty of a sitting child." How true that is! In the upcoming days, weeks, months or whenever he decides to crawl, I know that our baby-proofing will be taken to a different level and walking will be just around the corner. Especially after seeing Saul, Jillian, and Matthew play at our house, several things must be changed. No longer will John Paul be content with just playing with the few toys that Mom and Dad selected. The floors must be swept more often, the gate must be placed around the fireplace, and all of the cords that seem so hidden to my eye will become so exciting to an exploring baby. God has graced us with such a beautiful child, but I now see him as even more beautiful...just sitting.

3 comments:

Scott and Suzanne said...

Amen to that, sister. We just had a sitter that we hadn't had in a LONG time - before the twins were walking, really. Anyway, when I first asked her how the night went, she said, totally deadpan, "Next time, I'll bring a friend." Get on your running shoes when he gets mobile!

Anonymous said...

Yes Julie! When he starts moving, it won't matter how often you sweep, he will find the one speck left on the floor. At the same time though, mobility brings out a lot more unique personality too as the curiosity gets the best of them. What a cutie! Enjoy!

the wifey said...

This is so true! And don't forget about the books on the bookcase- Charlie was notorious for chewing on the edges of my books faster than I could get to her to stop her. We finally moved all the books up a couple of shelves and put bins with her toys in them on the lower shelves. It babyproofed and organized our living room!