Sunday, October 7, 2007

Cannon Beach, Oregon

Next Stop, Cannon Beach, Oregon!

It was SO RAINY when we pulled into Cannon Beach on Tuesday. We ate some chowder at Mo's and checked into our Lodge...I have another story about that later...Anyway, Wednesday morning was beautiful! Here are our beach pictures at Haystack Rock.Just enjoying our coffee and the sunshine!

Couple of cuties!

John Paul's first view of the Pacific Ocean (and can you see those waves in the background?)!

We found the Mall!! and enjoyed some Chai!

These pictures were taken at Ecola State Park. In the picture below, Matt is impersonating Lewis, (or maybe it was Clark) at the end of their famous trail. Off camera, I am impersonating Sacajawea (or is it Sakakawea?) The running debate between my husband and I is the spelling and pronunciation of Lewis and Clark's female guide. Even though everyone outside of North Dakota pronounces it Sacajawea, everyone from North Dakota insists we, outsiders, are wrong. What do you think?

As for the story about our lodgings in Cannon Beach......We got an upgrade! The reservation was for an economy room and when they saw we had a baby, the guy checking us in didn't think we would be able to set up a pack and play in our room, so they changed it to a suite--with a bedroom, living room, and a full kitchen. Also we had these cute little bunnies living outside of our room. So Matt didn't think they were so cute. More like dinner.


5 comments:

anya* said...

it's sacaJawea for sure:)

The White House said...

SacaJawea is my middle name, didn't you know that ? I was LOL'ing b/c we were playing lewis and clark there too. see ya thursday!

Heather Benza said...

Ha I was commenting to say of course it's Sacajwea and i see both Anya and Amy already said that! I'm totally impressed at your up-to-date-news!

Anonymous said...

When I visited relatives on the West Coast as a kid, I remember thinking, "Why are they pronouncing her name wrongly?!"
So I hope the ND native in your family thinks it's supposed to be "Sacacawea" sounding. After all, they met up in Mandan, ND - shouldn't _we_ know what her name is? Do you really trust the knowledge of those who pronounce the name of their own state as a body part (i.e., sounding like "organ"), rather than as it is spelled (i.e., "ore-a-gone!" (never mind that we Norwegian-accent-laden folks over-stress all of our vowels!))??
I don't really know how the differences in her name all came about, but perhaps this Wikipedia article sheds some light (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_and_Clark_Expedition) - they spell the Indian's name as Sacagawea - so maybe in the different areas that "ga" has morphed into "ka" or as "ja"...
Now I must thank you for the wonderful little history lesson I've just learned prompted by your debate - this web site (http://www.lewisandclarktrail.com/sacajawea.htm) seems to explain the mystery of it all, under the section, "Spelling of her name is controversial." The rest of the web site uses both the Wikipedia spelling of her name, and Clark's Sacajawea - but he appears to be a poor speller, hmm... I guess the pronounciation of it is still up for grabs... We're probably calling her "Bird-Watcher" for all we know. Sorry for the outrageously long comment and over-analyzing ; ) Does that pretty much kill the fun right now?

Unknown said...

Hey Julie,

Just looked through your pictures. He is a cutie pie all right. Looks like you and your hubby have really been enjoying him and still doing much as a family.

Good for you. Looking forward to a visit.

:) Carolyn McClure