Friday, August 6, 2010

In Praise of Large Families

When I tell people that my husband is the oldest of 7 children, I usually get a reaction of a smile and raised eyebrows. And then I add, that we all got together this weekend at his parents house. 4 siblings are married, 2 are dating, 1 just starting 7th grade. We are expecting grandchild #7, and John Paul (who is 3 1/2) is the oldest. And throw in 96 year-old Grandma (who is precious to all of us), all under one 5 bedroom, ranch-style roof for the weekend.

Now, that is when I get the reactions!!

But it is absolutely wonderful. Sure it is crowded, and you have to wait for a shower, but who cares!! Being able to go home to an instant party, or impromptu singing around the piano (but not during naptime), a constant card game going on....it is seriously absolutely wonderful. Here are some highlights!

Yard games. Matt introduced his family to Beer Pole, which we learned from our neighbors on the Fourth of July. Basically a frisbee game trying to hit a bottle off the top of a pole. Lots of fun, but FYI, you REALLY don't want me on your team!!!
Grass sitting.
Sitting under a shade tree on the kiddos picnic table, while petting the dog.
Cute babies!!
Cute babies in exersaucers!!
Cute babies with their mamas!!
Large gardens.
With carrots.
And peas.
A good ol' sandbox under the shade tree.
With trucks.
Picture Perfect. Now family life is not always this perfect, or clean, or uncomplicated, but it is always beautiful. And when it is picture perfect, take the picture--either physically or mentally--and hold onto that picture, knowing that this is your family. So below, you have Beer Pole going on in the center, top left is the shade tree with the sandbox and kids table, bottom right is the tree swing and just grass sitting.
Painted toenails. I had to put this in here, because I don't have any other pictures of me!! I think I will call it "Self-Portrait."
Bubbles!
Bomb pops!
Bomb pops with Aunt Anne!
Guns!! Not sure how this one made the list, but I think my husband looks adorably red-neck in this picture!! He is heading out back to shoot clay pigeons (not squirrels, folks.)
Great Grandmas! With bad hearing so she didn't mind that the shotgun range was just behind her!
Holding babies hands.
And kissing cute babies.
Cousins!!
And the chaos of trying to get a good picture.
And enjoying a beautiful evening with a full moon with your sweetheart.

No comments: