Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Great Carrot Harvest

My poor carrots.  On the very first day they were planted, they were dug up.  And I am pretty sure they were dug up a couple other times throughout the summer.  The pot that they called home was flooded AT LEAST once a week since May.  I really never thought any of them would make it.
But they did.  And did very well too, especially considering the harsh conditions they had to survive.
I have been wanting to just pull them all up and be done with them for quite a few weeks, but my wise husband would talk me out of it, telling me to just give them a little more time to mature.
So glad that we waited.  But two nights ago, the boys had a blast digging them all up.  I didn't really care for peeling the baby carrots.  I don't know how baby carrot farmers do it--oh yeah, by machine and not by hand!
 Now they continue to dig in the empty pot and inform me that it is their  "project."
 They are happily playing in the dirt--although we changed outfits 3 times yesterday because I didn't really want their project all over my house.  But I say dig away, my little boys.  Go work on your project.

3 comments:

Heather Benza said...

Very cool! Our carrots grew much bigger, but wow were they mutants. You should check out ours "mutant ninja carrots."

Kari said...

Your boys are adorable!

The White House said...

miss you guys this harvest - a harvest of children this year. no applesauce this year. no peaches. someone is coming to pick my apples tomorrow. great job on the carrots boys. see u soon?