Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Watermelon Pickles

I don't know about any of you, but we have just been eating watermelon like crazy this summer.  And most of them have been so delicious!!  After finishing a watermelon, Matt suggested that we make Watermelon Pickles.  Being a person who is always up for a canning adventure, I thought let's give it a try!

Of course, first things first.  You have to eat the watermelon!
Then you cut all of the red off and the green rind off, and all that  is left is the white middle.
The boys also added a lesson on letters to all of the fun!
Then you boil them in water and make a syrup.
 After that you let them sit for 24 hours and boil again on days 2, 3, and 4!
 After that you can them!  We added some red food coloring because they are a sweet cinnamon flavor and we thought the red would let people know that.

So I don't have an after the canning shot, but I will encourage anyone who encounters Watermelon Pickles to just give it s try.  Not something you eat a lot of because they are so sweet and spiced, but they really are unique.

3 comments:

Heather Benza said...

Very interesting. I never heard of this before. I keep anxiously checking to see if there is a new baby!! Were JP and Ethan on time/late/early?

Andi said...

I've never heard of them either.

The White House said...

interesting!!!!!!!! go matt!