Saturday, June 6, 2009

Potty Training

After our visit to Kansas, JP has had a slight interest in potty training so we decided to give it a try. We have had a couple successes and quite a few accidents, but he is getting better. He is starting to recognize when he has the urge to go and I here "Potty!" from across the house.

We bought a package of boy underwear at the NEX on base and the only kind they had were Spiderman and Star Wars. He really doesn't know either one of the characters, but he was excited....to put them on his head. Now he knows how to put them on correctly and we haven't had any more requests to wear them as a hat.
Also, to all the moms who have potty trained boys, I have a question. He trends to overshoot the potty seat sitting on the toilet. And that causes him to just stop going. Normally he won't start again. I try to "point him down" but he won't pee when I am touching him. Also, he does the best if I am not even in the bathroom, because if I am in there, most likely Ethan is in there and he bothers John Paul--literally. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm the mean mom who makes them hold themselves down!! :) They do make kid seats that you put on the toilet that have little cups in the front to keep the splashing at bay. However, I'm not such a fan of those, as you then have to get them used to the regular seat... not to mention that some kids feel like they have to have them on every potty in order to go, and I just can't picture myself dragging around a potty seat with everything else I have to drag around!! That's my two-cents worth. :)

Heather Benza said...

My brother sat backward. Holding on to the lid kind of naturally leans them slightly forward and directs the stream slightly downward.