Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Taking a Stand

January 22nd marked the anniversary of Roe v. Wade, or the Supreme Court decision to legalize abortion. And since that date, the United States has lost millions of babies, citizens, friends, coworkers, doctors, lawyers, and the list goes on. On that date, across the country, many groups organize rallies to take a stand against abortion. So John Paul and I, along with our friends Kim and Jillian, rode a chartered bus to Olympia for the annual Washington State March for Life. The bus was provided through our church, Our Lady Star of the Sea.

It was a positive experience. The weather was sunny, just cold. (And I know you Midwesterners are thinking, "they don't even know what COLD is." I know you've had it rough this week too.) After a short walk to the steps of the capitol building, the organizers planned several different speakers to encourage the 2,000 or so participants in their fight against abortion. I debated on whether or not it would be a good idea to bring John Paul, especially with the weather, but I had to. HE is a witness to Life, and the fullness of it too. We all can be witnesses to Life and in the support and encouragement of pregnant women, especially those who see abortion as the only option. Life is full of options; don't chose death which will be a regret.

Here's a picture taken shortly after we got off the bus. I think the person taking the picture didn't realize JP was in the stroller. He barely made it in.
"Mom, seriously. I look like an eskimo, I can't move, and you expect this to go on for how long?" (Thanks Sydney for the boots and Saul for the great camo bibs!!)
"Just kidding! I'm happy to be here." (Someone commented on if I was taking pictures for the scrapbook, and I just replied, "No, for the blog.")

John Paul's first taste of being an activist.
Here we are gathered on the Capitol steps.
This is John Paul's new 4-year old friend, Ian who was sitting with his grandma in front of us on the bus. Ian entertained John Paul, and I think John Paul returned the favor as well. Ian also taught John Paul to play peek-a-boo. I have been trying for ever to get him to do it, and it just took an hour with Ian, and now John Paul wants to play it all the time. FUNNY QUOTE: I overhead Ian tell his grandma that now "he is a dog person and a baby person." Man, the things 4 year old come up with!!!


1 comment:

Scott and Suzanne said...

Amen, sister. Good for you, getting out in the cold. Really, John Paul should be a poster child for the pro-life movement - he's so cute he could convince anyone how precious babies are! :)