Monday, June 6, 2011

Strawberry Pickin'

Last Friday, we knew we wanted to do something with our friends, Sammy and Paxton and I had JUST NOTICED they were picking strawberries at the Berry Farm just down the street from us, so we combined it into a play date/berry picking/jam making day.

 On the tractor ride down to the strawberry patch.
 Sammy, Erica, and Paxton with visions of huge red juicy berries!!
 Naomi just hanging out as usual!
 It was perfect!  We were there at 8:30 am and it was the first day of picking so there were quite a few good berries and not that many people.  The boys had quite a bit of freedom to wander in the patch.
 But Paxton's method of picking was probably the smartest way to go!
 Ethan was much more into it this year than last year.  Last year, he just wanted to eat all the green ones!
 This year, he was much more choosy and found the good red ones.
The boys with the 7 pounds of strawberries (also facing the sun so they didn't want to look at the camera!
We went back to Erica's house and made two batches of strawberry jam and one batch of strawberry/rhubarb jam.  YUUUMMMMOOOOOOO!

1 comment:

The Cichy's said...

I love berry picking! We'll be heading up to Sequim in July to do some strawberry picking with our homeschooler's group.

I'd love to get that strawberry/rhubard jam recipe. I have a freezer bag full of rhubarb waiting to be made into something yummy!