Monday, May 12, 2008

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

When I saw some rhubarb for a good price at Jose's Fruit Stand, I just couldn't resist making a strawberry rhubarb pie. It was so tasty that I thought I would share the recipe.

Pie crust (makes 2):

3 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
1 c. shortening
1 egg, beaten
1 t. vinegar
1/3 c. COLD water

Mix flour and salt together. Cut in shortening with pastry blender. Mix liquids together in separate bowl, and add to flour mixture. Add a little water or flour to make dough the right consistancy.

Filling:

3 c. rhubarb, diced
1 c. strawberries, diced
1 2/3 c. sugar
1/3 c. flour
couple pats of butter

mix rhubarb, berries, sugar, and flour together. Pour into pie pan. Add the few pats of butter. Top with second crust. Bake at 350 degrees for an hour or a little more.

UPDATE: I forgot to add that you should really let the pie set up. I made this one the night before so it could set and cool.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The recipe? I just want a piece of the pie! It looks yummy!

Heather Benza said...

very impressive looking. i've been eyeing the rhubarb, i think i'll try your recipe.
also was impressed with jp's artistic skills on your card!!!! reese actually touched paper with crayon for the first time sunday (as opposed to just trying to eat them).

Anonymous said...

Julie, your pie looks beautiful! I've never made pie crust, but you've inspired me to try.
--Lisa Gesterling